By Amina Edota
…build a positive mindset
To your Lord is the final destiny. He is the One who makes you laugh or cry. (An-Najm 53: 42,43)
No doubt, there will always be good days and the seemingly bad ones.
These rough & smooth times make up the story of life. You have no control over it. What you can aim to do is influence your thoughts, and build a positive mindset. And only then could yours be a life story rooted in a positivity & good thoughts.
You can learn to look beyond the rough patches with the glowing lens of optimism rooted firmly within correct faith in Allah, The Most Merciful, The Most Compassionate.
To build and sustain a positive mindset; You must check the following…
1- Your thoughts and inner beliefs,
2- Your language and attitude,
3- Your environment & company,
4- Your lifestyle.
1- Check your Inner Belief
“How amazing is the affair of the believer. There is good for him in everything and that is for no one but the believer. If good times come his way, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him, and if hardship comes his way, he endures it patiently and that is better for him.” (Muslim)
– Reflect on the purpose of your creation. And for everything you do, think about how you can fulfill this purpose – with your intention and all accompanying actions.
– Have big goals & build on the necessary skills you need to achieve them.
– Acknowledge your strengths & talents; learn to focus & build on them.
– Forgive others, don’t hold on to grudges.
– Make excuses for your brother/ sister.
2- Check your Attitude
”…If a calamity befalls you, do not say , ‘If only I had done that, it would have been like that. ‘Say instead, ‘Qadara Allahu wa ma sha’a fa`al (it is the destiny of Allah and He does whatever He wishes); for surely ‘if’ opens the door for Satan.” (Muslim)
– Carry a smiling countenance (practice in front of your mirror if you have to).
– Always try to be optimistic.
– Imbibe a thankful attitude. And show gratitude in every little way.
– Use positive & encouraging words; Avoid ‘if only’.
3- Check your Environment
”A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend.” (Abu Dawud & At-Tirmidhi)
”The example of a good companion and a bad companion is like that of the seller of musk, and the one who blows the blacksmith’s bellows. So as for the seller of musk then either he will grant you some, or buy some from him, or at least you enjoy a pleasant smell from him. As for the one who blows the blacksmith’s bellows then either he will burn your clothes or you will get an offensive smell from him.” (Al-Bukhari & Muslim)
– Surround yourself with positive people.
– Collaborate with others to do something that benefits the society.
– Acknowledge the good work & achievement of others.
– Make supplication for those striving to do good around & strive to achieve even better.
4- Check your Lifestyle
”…If you survive till the evening, do not expect to be alive in the morning, and if you survive till the morning, do not expect to be alive in the evening, and take from your health for your sickness, and (take) from your life for your death.” (Al-Bukhari)
– Look clean, think clean, feel clean & live clean.
– Develop a stress free routine. And make your work, studies, family time, volunteering activities, rest & hobbies a form of worship. Don’t neglect one for the other, strive for balance instead.
– Make your routine positive. Begin your day on a positive note with Fajr Prayer, read morning supplications and recite some verses of the Qur’an while pondering on the meanings.
Look around, who inspires you in a positive way?
Which inspirational leaders can you take lessons from? Especially in areas of your interest such as one who balances faith with entrepreneurship/ sports/ creativity/ oratory skills.
And who do you know on a similar mission towards building a positive mindset?
Whatever it is that is drawing you back every day; pushing you into the deep recesses of negativity; hold on to your checklist now and take the steps into the bright side of positivity.
Build a positive mindset and enjoy a rich meaningful life. You will become more fulfilled when you can connect to your purpose of creation, carry a healthy attitude, stay around positive people and create a life with a positive culture within and around.
Begin with an intention each morning, plan for a positive day and make it a habit to think, talk, walk and act positive. With a positive mindset, you will find opportunities where others see roadblocks.
What action will you take today to get you on the path of building a more positive mindset?
Tag:attitude, bad times, calling to Islam, characteristics of muslim, company, Environment, grateful, gratitude, healthy attitude, healthy lifestyle, inner beliefs, Language, lifestyle, monotheism, muslim youth, optimism, optimistic, persistence, Positive, positive attitudes, Positive Mindset, positivity, Productive, Productivity, Quran, Tawheed, thankfulness, thoughts, worship